Imagine you have a product or service that you want the world to know about.
You tested it in the trenches, got some good and bad feedback and now it’s ready for prime time. What do you do?
You start to develop your MVP. You feel good about what you have to offer, market it and nothing happens.
You get little to no traffic. No conversions. Yet, thousands of dollars and valuable time invested with no return.
This is not a good feeling and “…something must change” you think to yourself.
Did I just describe you? That was me about 11-years ago with one of my websites.
Here are a few mistakes I made:
- No Analytics Installed – As you can see below, I did not install any analytics until June 2007 and the site was up since March 2001. I know, I know…not good!
- Unaware of the sources generating traffic – Notice the spike from August to September 2010? Don’t ask what caused it as I do not know because I was not monitoring my traffic sources. 🙁 I had access to it and still do just never paid attention to it. My best guess is my content ranked higher in Google search results which caused the increase in traffic. Still, that was a huge jump in traffic.
- No Opt-in form – Yep, I wasn’t even collecting emails with all that traffic. I wish I could tell you I learned my lesson in 2011 but I managed to maintain the traffic.
- Just SEO – All of my traffic depended on SEO and when the algorithms changed; my traffic got hit hard.
I realized during this time, I actually liked what I was doing but got distracted by helping others achieve their goals and my personal sites suffered.
I had to focus and my options were:
- Salesforce Development/Administration – used it and pretty knowledgeable but wanted to take it to the next level.
- Digital Marketing – have some real-world hands-on experience with two aspects of it (content marketing and SEO) but have not done it in a while as I was working on websites for other people
I selected Digital Marketing because I just love the constant challenge to improve results.
New ways of marketing are always on the horizon, which would push me to upgrade my knowledge and skills. I love to learn!
I decided to test, track and tweak my efforts working on projects that were important to me and using platforms desired by employers.
In addition, I figured I would get insight into companies like Google, Facebook, MailChimp, Hubspot, Hootsuite and MOZ on how they perform their marketing by analyzing what they do and not what they say.
My thinking was, “Now I can take my personal experience and match it with my new knowledge to help myself and businesses to get the results they have been desiring but could not achieve!”
Smart insights conducted a survey of their readers for their 14 top rated digital marketing techniques and the top three were:
- Content marketing
- Big Data
- Marketing Automation
Hubspot’s marketing statistics page reveals several marketing challenges companies face. The top three are:
- Generating traffic and leads
- Proving the ROI of marketing activities
- Securing big enough budgets to perform the work
There is a demand for Digital Marketers who understand how to help businesses get results using a variety of channels.
I will use all that I learn, help others to do the same, increase revenue for my sites, help businesses to increase their profits and have more time for my family as I automate as much of this process as I can.
You are going to watch me as I develop, market and expand a few different websites and grow revenue for at least one of them to over $50k a month. Yes, $50K a month and you will see exactly how I do it!